Investing in employees is essential if companies want to drive steady business growth and meet with success. Having recruited and hired a qualified and professional staff, the company’s caring about employees shouldn’t stop. According to a recent report, 79 percent of CEOs and business owners worldwide are concerned that a lack of essential skills in their workforce can threaten the future growth of their organizations. Another study reveals that businesses focusing on employees’ development and training skyrocket their sales and double the amount of revenue in comparison with those who don’t do that. That’s why companies should provide diverse learning opportunities to drive employee’s engagement across the entire organization that is essential to financial performance. Also, it's critical to mention that 59% of millennials, 44% of Gen Xers, and 41% of baby boomers considered learning and growing in the company as an extremely vital factor when choosing a job. Moreover, 94% of employees say they would stay at the same job for a long time if companies invested in their professional development - as a result, this saved a lot in employee turnover.
Having that in mind, a great number of companies use learning management solutions such as LMSs, LRSs, LAPs, LXPs, and so on. However, learning requirements are constantly changing, and companies start to look for more diverse and robust learning solutions. For instance, well-known startup companies like Degreed, Pathgather, and EdCast were the first to come up with an idea to deliver user-friendly and easy-to-use learning materials for corporate learning. Not only have they incorporated a learning experience platform (LXP) that helps them to offer their employees 24/7 training options, but also they can track results and visualize skills they are mastering. According to recent statistics, the learning experience platform (LXP) market is growing rapidly. What’s more? It has already reached 350 million U.S. dollars, and it’s just a beginning. Sounds impressive, right? Let’s find out more details below:
What exactly is an LXP?
LXP is a learning experience platform designed specifically to deliver more personalized learning content and discover professional learning opportunities. It is only by applying a personalized approach with the support of artificial intelligence technology across the multiple channels (smartphones, tablets, notepads, etc.) you can provide users (employees /customers/clients) with the highly customizable learning solution.
What makes LXP more user-friendly?
Josh Bersin offers five key algorithm categories that make learning experience platforms more user-friendly in comparison with other learning platforms. Let’s take a closer look at them below:
- Skill-based learning: means that users can improve the skills they lack based on their job profiles and job skills.
- Usage-based recommendations: means that the system collects data from users with similar preferences to provide recommendations.
- AI-based content analysis: helps to uncover hidden gaps in the user’s knowledge and provide appropriate materials to close them.
- Chatting with the learner: surveys, quizzes, or chatbots implemented are used to understand user preferences, goals, or ambition.
- Learning business rules: allows personalization, adaptability, and self-learning based on each user journey to fit the user’s schedule.
Thanks to open architecture, companies can easily connect and integrate an LXP solution with other existing systems and tools used across the organization.
Why do you need a learning experience platform for your business?
Below we’ve put together all the benefits you can derive from when implementing a learning experience platform. Let’s delve into details:
- You can extend learning opportunities by providing more flexibility. Not only can users (employees, customers, clients, etc.) choose the courses based on their preferences, but also they can decide whether to complete certifications or not.
- With an LXP solution, you can get a 360-degree picture of the user’s true capabilities and areas of interest.
- Powered with an employee-driven approach, users can proactively choose what they want to learn and even they can share their learnings and new content discoveries.
- Users can showcase their new skills and knowledge base and encourage other like-minded users to log in and participate.
Custom vs off-the-shelf LXP solution: What to choose for your business?
In this regard, the LXPs are not too different from any other software. The advantages of a turnkey system are as follows:
|Custom LXP||Out-of-the-box LXP|
|Total control: you can get an LXP solution based on your unique business needs and requirements, decide what features will be implemented, which data will be stored or accessed.||Low initial cost: you get a complete solution that doesn’t require development.|
|Long-term value: with a custom LXP solution, you invest in development only without the need to pay license fees monthly/yearly that may add up the price in the future.||Technical support: the vendor provides support and maintenance or can fix any issue if it occurs.|
|Added value: with the LXP solution, you can add more value to your company and increase awareness in the market.||Highly customizable: most solutions allow customization as well as integration capabilities.|
However, there is no one-size-fits-all solution that will meet your business needs and requirements. It’s up to you whether to choose an out-of-the-box software that can be customized enough to work for your company’s business goals or if you need a truly customized solution from scratch.
What’s the idea of the LXP system?
We, at DDI Development, have vast experience in delivering a wide range of customizable solutions for logistics, e-commerce, recruiting, CRM, e-learning, fintech, and healthcare business verticals. Recently, we created a concept of the learning experience platform from scratch. This platform will redefine everything from the way the employees choose the training or learning course to how they complete them. We agreed that the system will include the following features:
- Reporting and analytics
- Personalized learning content
- Real-time notifications and communication
- Easy discovery of content
Project structure of the learning experience platform
Below you will find technologies that may be used for the learning experience platform development. Let’s take a closer look below:
Here you can find all the user roles within the LXP system and find out what privileges they have. There are three user levels within the learning experience platform: User, HR Manager, and Admin. Let’s take a look below:
- Users are employees who have basic permissions within the learning experience platform.
- HR Manager is a user who can view users’ profiles, get reports about their competences, learn more about their preferences, etc.
- Administrator is a user with the highest administrative responsibilities and security level within the learning experience system.
After you sign in as a User, you will see the main hub of navigation around the learning experience platform. Let’s take a closer look at the options presented in the main menu:
Just with the widgets, which are specific areas of the user dashboard, you can view or perform specific actions in the LXP system:
With the Profile option, users can find all the important information about the personalized study and some user-specific data. Not only can they view personal statistics and course breakdowns, they can also see all the learning paths joined and learning goals achieved. All the information is presented in the following:
- courses completed;
- certificates received;
- learning goals reached;
- learning paths in progress;
- recent activities;
- summary (courses breakdown).
After you land on the Courses page, you can visualize all the courses you are enrolled in to serve a multitude of purposes. Also, the user can monitor all the course statistics to get a complete overview of how many courses a user has completed or how many courses are in progress.
- all courses;
- courses in progress;
- courses completed;
- courses failed;
- courses not started;
It’s no secret that lessons allow users to anticipate difficulties and problem areas or learn some specific skills by meeting the challenge of more difficult tasks or exercises. When landing on the Lessons page, users can see how many lessons have been finished, discover whether they reach their goals or not, and click on any lesson to view it. There are the following tabs of navigation:
- all lessons;
- in review;
- not started;
In addition to that, users can see lessons history and find out their current schedules with a filtering option by day, week, month and year.
With the Pathways option, a user can set up various and sundry learning goals.
What’s more? Users can follow easy-to-follow courses to achieve specific learning goals, move through the courses fast and easily, and receive a certificate that confirms their skills and knowledge. The learning paths are divided into the following:
- in progress.
Additionally, users can be aware of how long they spend on learning and their learning progress.
Developing industry-specific skills is extremely important to success. That’s why users should focus on having a desirable skill level to carry out the duties the employer demands. With the Skills feature, users can put technical skills into practice and easily master them by joining various courses.
What’s more? They can see what skills they have already learned in a graphically-presented dashboard.
Skills matrix shows the skill level that a user is expected to excel at such as expert, proficient demonstrating, basic and none/low. Also, a user knows what skills need to be improved to be a highly competent specialist.
With the Certificates feature, users can see a list of electronic certificates they received after course completion. Every certificate shows the total marks obtained after completion of the particular course and proves that a user possesses certain valuable skills to perform a certain job or task. Moreover, you can view its details or can download it by clicking on the Download button.
With the Notification features, users are always up-to-date with the events or actions required. All the notifications are immediately visible for each user in the top-right corner of the learning experience platform. They can see an icon with the number of unread notifications to take some actions.
AI-powered chatbot helps to deliver personalized learning experiences. Not only can it guide learners through the learning journey, but also it can answer their questions or offer a course based on their preferences. Moreover, it creates a learning experience similar to one-on-one teaching and makes communication interactive.
HR Manager Dashboard
Only after signing in as an HR Manager can you keep track of staff. Not only can you see who passed or failed their probation, how many certificates each company employee received, what skills they are mastering. Here is the main hub of navigation for HR Manager:
With this feature, the HR Manager can see all the users within the learning experience platform. All the information is presented in the well-structured table with the following columns:
- Date joined
- Activity (today, N days ago, yesterday)
- Actions (View/Edit/Email/Print/Delete)
By clicking on the user, you will be redirected to the Profile page to see all the information about him/her.
Thanks to a variety of courses that concentrate on company-specific or role-specific skills and knowledge, HR helps employees in developing a career track to pursue future opportunities. By landing on the Courses page, you will see all the users registered in the LXP and what courses they are learning to master specific skills. All the information is presented in a well-structured table that provides insight into how well they accomplish tasks within the courses.
With the Pathways feature, an HR manager can easily find out what learning pathways have been assigned to employees.
What’s more? It gives a full understanding of what employees learn, when they learn and how well they achieve their learning goals. Here you will find a table with the following columns:
- Learning path
- Learning mode
- % complete
- Mastery progress
- % to next level
It’s no secret that any employee should have professional skills. However, some business owners look for applicants with hybrid skills - a mix of soft and hard skills. With that feature, you can be aware of what skills your employees have.
What’s more? You can find out what job-specific skills they lack to perform a job.
Thanks to the Certificates feature, through which you can identify a standard level of skills, experience, and expertise of your staff. Here you can see what new skills and new knowledge users gain after the course completion and receiving certificates. Moreover, you make sure that the certified staff is getting jobs done faster.
By logging into the LXP system as an Administrator, you will see a list of widgets that enable you to access important areas of the learning experience solution. They are the following:
The administrator takes care of the operational performance of the LXP system on a daily basis. Thanks to that feature, Admin can see all the information about the users.
What’s more? He/she can define user roles, build custom certification, etc.
All the information is presented in the well-structured table with the following columns:
- Date joined
- Activity (today, N days ago, yesterday)
- Visibility (private/public)
- Actions (View/Edit/Email/Print/Delete)
With the Content feature, an Administrator can see the content breakdown: courses, pathways, lessons, podcasts, etc.; popular content, recent users’ activity and content usage. With the Manage button, the Administrator is able to manage and update content settings in the learning experience platform.
From the corresponding option in the main menu, you can reach the Analytics page.
Thanks to this feature through which you can instantly access a complete frame of the learning experience of each user. Not only can you capture each user’s activity within the LXP, but also track individuated learning data. Only by analyzing data captured can you map what the user knows against what he/she should know.
Admin can reach the Settings page from the main menu. With the Settings option, you can set up your own preference - rules and restrictions. If the default settings work for you, there is no need to change them.
Key features of LXP software
Below we have presented some of the possible features and functionality that may be included in the learning experience platform. Let’s take a closer look below:
- Learning pathways: allow you to visualize personalized learning journeys or provide advanced content for users aiming to learn more.
- Analytics and reporting: you can discover purposeful reports that help you analyze learning, track the test attempts, identify content gaps in real time.
- AI and ML-powered engine: when powered with AI/ML technology, the system can suggest and deliver learning content that personalizes a specific user the most.
- xAPI compliant: means that a person's or group’s activities can be securely communicated by capturing and sharing data of these activities.
- Readily available content: users can get the information they need at any time if there is a need to fill the knowledge gaps.
- Targeted learning goals: users can create learning goals based on their personal skill set and performance gaps.
However, LXP may contain a greater number of impressive features to be developed and implemented. If deployed properly, it will help you make sure that the learning process is on track to meet business goals.
Understanding the benefits of using an LXP solution
We explore some scenarios wherein an LXP will help organizations derive benefits from their eLearning solutions.
- More independent learning opportunities: thanks to personalization. Users can study independently. Not only can users choose courses based on their preferences, but also select courses if there is a necessity to master skills for performing tasks better. What’s more? LXP helps users manage their own learning pathways in a safe environment.
- Deliver real-time notifications: LXP solution suggests new contents for new users and reminds them of key milestones. Moreover, the system mutually evaluates them and keeps on track as well as enables greater learning independence that makes learning goals more focused. In addition to that, training is getting more relevant.
- Drive motivation with personal learning pathways: users can join the course or courses to test or reboot their proficiency. What’s more? They get certificates after course completion to take pride in their work. As they tackle each lesson or module, their unique preferences will motivate them to explore more. As a rule, the more personalized content is, the stronger the users’ motivation is.
- Provide dynamic and intuitive features: with easy-to-use interface and architecture, users can learn on the go. Not only can they browse through lessons, articles, or podcasts, they can also watch videos anytime and from any device that promotes continuous learning and upskills them.
- Maximize your work-life balance: it’s no secret that creating a harmonious work-life balance is a must. With the LXP solution, users can learn or train in the flow of work that increases productivity and encourages them to continue growing.
Bottom line: Are you ready to implement the LXP solution?
Nowadays, online learning has become a reality. Many companies and organizations opted for online learning solutions to keep ahead of the curve on emerging e-learning trends. If you want to provide personalized learning and keep track of users’ performance, LXP software comes into play and becomes a great alternative to other e-learning solutions. When choosing an LXP software solution, you clearly make a move away from learning delivered through an LMS. Not only does LXP streamline training or learning, it also can help to improve users’ skills and expertise by offering golden opportunities in the learning environment. That’s why it’s imperative to take into account whether LXP copes with the existing organizational functions and matches the companies’ individual needs.
We at DDI Development have vast experience in delivering e-learning solutions that meet any business requirements.
Let us know, and we can turn any idea into an actionable and top-notch e-learning solution.